Sunday, March 16, 2008

Quilling


My boys are going through their 8-12 week old quilling stage. They are just over 10 weeks old now and have been terribly huffy for the last few days. Even Horatio the cuddle bug has been quite sensitive when it comes to being held.


Quilling is the term used for the process of shedding a set of quills in order for a new set to grown in. In other words, their 'baby quills' are shedding, making room for their strong manly adult quills. The fallen quills are quickly replaced by new quills which break through quill points in their skin. It is easy to see why my little guys are irritable and moody. Hopefully this stage only lasts a week, but it is possible that it can last up to 3 weeks or slightly longer.

2 comments:

Rachie-Babe said...

Hello from Wisconsin! I hope you'll drop by my mom's blog (which sometimes features, me (Cringer), but mostly it's about my Mom, Rachael, and this thing call "work." I remember quilling. . . . . . . ugh.

Celia said...

Yikes...I remember the joy of picking up my hoglet, only to have 30 quills drop off of her onto the floor. :(